Jul 12, 2007

New Deck: Almost Uber Light - Mullen

My new deck finally arrived yesterday (I swear UPS is slower than USPS) and I laid on the grippy, changed out my bearings, replaced my trucks' kingpins, and put it all together.

Before


Dyrdek deck, circa 2000

After


Mullen deck, bottomMullen deck, top

I took it out skating last night, and was immediately impressed by how high this thing pops. It's like spaceman ollies!


The concave feels very deep, which I'm not quite used to. In fact, I fell a couple of times because my feet were so "glued" in place by it.


As advertised, it does seem to flip faster, and though I'm still having a hard time with kickflips in general, heelflips seem to be easier to initiate (though harder to control, as the board flips at least another half-flip from the same amount of effort).

3 comments:

Derek said...

I came across this blog and felt like you'd snuck into my head and ready thoughts: I'm a thirty-somethin' skater with about twelve years between now and the last time I stepped on a board. I'm curious as to how you're coming along on your trick list -- I'm waiting on a set of Crash Pads before I get too courageous, but I'm also going to need a new board. On my 12-yr-old stick I'm getting probably 2ft on my ollies (I'm at about 180lbs). How much did your new board improve your ollie height? Do you like the Uber formula, or do you think that a tried-and-true maple deck would give the same result? I'd still like to go Almost -- I've been a Mullen fan since Future Primitive.

Jared M. Stein said...

You know, I liked the UberLight fairly well while it lasted--and it lasted less than 30 riding nights! Yeah, it split along the plies, so I sent it back.

I don't know if they're going to send me a new one, so in the meantime I've been riding a Element featherlight thanks to the local shop's recommendation, and I love it.

Jared M. Stein said...

UPDATE: I sent the cracked deck back to Almost with a polite letter, and one week later I have a new replacement deck--with new grip! Thanks Almost!