Jun 3, 2007

First Goal Achieved

I was analyzing why I couldn't seem to land ollies at a good speed, and after playing around a bit I figured it out and have now met my first goal. I can now really consistently land good-sized ollies at full-speed.

I was doing two things that were screwing me up:
  1. I was crouching too low before the ollie. I'm now crouching only about half-way down.
  2. My back foot was curled too tightly on the tail before the pop. My foot's now nearly flat on the tail, though the heel and arch still don't touch.

I think that I was doing these things based on what worked with freestyle skating: if you know anything about old school freestyle, the deck was considerably smaller, and had absolutely NO concave; it was completely flat except for the tail. Though I did skate street and ramp on normal boards back then, I mostly skated most of my skating was on a freestyle board, and thats where I learned most of my ollie and flip tricks.

The deck I have now seems to have a lot more pop in it, meaning I don't need to exert as much force to get it in the air for an ollie. I used to get the height I needed on the board by crouching down as low as possible; on the deck I have now, crouching low is not only unnecessary, it also makes me wobble due to the larger width.

The width of the deck and the beautiful concave allow me to relax my feet a bit more, meaning I don't have to do this huge and focused snap in the center of the tail.

I think this deck difference also relates to problems I'm having trying to flip the board in kickflips and heelflips.

1 comment:

Jared M. Stein said...

Another idea: After more success tonight at full speed ollies I actually watched some instructional videos online, and found that maybe its not the crouching low so much as it was the position of my front foot. Most of the skaters who successfully ollie big in videos actually keep their front foot near to the bottom bolts of the front truck.