Jun 19, 2007

Rodney Mullen

As a kid Mullen was my hero. I remember when his freestyle board was focused on Rubbish Heap, and I dimly recognized that, yeah, freestyle is dead. That's about the same time I got out of skating.

Now more than ever I admire and look up to Mullen. Even today he projects nothing but a positive attitude that garners respect--a good example is how thankful he is for all the breaks he's had, and the people who have supported him. He's not afraid to admit his Christianity, which is fine by me; I'd rather have my son look up to a heartily religious pro skater than one who's amoral and befouls himself in public.

Yeah, I've totally set myself up as the old prude, but what do I care what anyone thinks? I'm right on this one. We need more Tony Hawks and Rodney Mullens. Skaters who are not only the best of the best, but decent people too.

Anyway, I liked this documentary on Mullen; you might too:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5332678536989755802&hl=en

No comments: